LaTeX users online

In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 1327 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:11 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Amsmath errors Topic is solved

LaTeX Forum: LyX

amsmathamsthmLyXMiKTeXAdd tags Information and discussion about LyX, a WYSIWYM editor, available for Linux, Windows and Mac OS X systems.

Postby Yoran91 on Sat Feb 23rd, 2013

Hi everyone,

I am a complete LaTeX (and computer) noob. This has motived me years ago to start using LyX because I was getting too many errors I couldn't fix in LaTeX. Now, however, I'm having some troubles in Lyx.

A couple of hours ago, LyX stopped working : when I tried pdf'ing my files, it would not respond, forcing me to close it. I reinstalled LyX (now using version 2.0.5) and MikTeX ( version 2.9), and that problem seems to have dissapeared. Instead, amsmath.sty can not be found and Lyx is also complaining about the package 'amssymb'.

I read that I should include '\usepackage{amsmath}' in the LaTeX preambule, but this doesn't work. I also read that amsmath is now included in amslatex, which I've tried adding to the LaTeX preambule, but this isn't working either. Next, I read that you could try and change the article type to article (AMS), but this isn't in the list. I have downloaded packages using MikTeX package manager. Someone mentioned I should click the 'reconfigure' button in LyX, but this didn't work either.

Being a total computer noob, I have no idea what to do anymore. I've tried googling this problem but I can't understand half of what is being said. Can someone please help?
Yoran91

Postby Stefan Kottwitz on Sat Feb 23rd, 2013

Hi,

welcome to the forum!

This could be an issue with the reorganization of amsmath files in a recent MiKTeX update. Have a look at this post.

Stefan
LaTeX Community Administrator
Stefan Kottwitz
Site Admin

Postby scottkosty on Sun Feb 24th, 2013

Yoran91 wrote:Hi everyone,

I am a complete LaTeX (and computer) noob. This has motived me years ago to start using LyX because I was getting too many errors I couldn't fix in LaTeX. Now, however, I'm having some troubles in Lyx.

Learning LaTeX helps with using LyX a lot. In fact, Yihui Xie does not recommend LyX for beginners:

Yihui wrote:Finally, I do not recommend LaTeX novices to try LyX. It is a bad idea in general to use GUI if you do not really understand it.

http://yihui.name/en/2012/10/lyx-vs-latex/
scottkosty

Postby Yoran91 on Sun Feb 24th, 2013

Ok, I've read the text in your link and I've managed to install the amsmath package. Now, I can pdf empty files or files containing just letters and formulas. Thank you!

However, the file I wish to be able to pdf also contain theorems and lemmas from the ams theorem package, and LyX now can't find the amsthm.sty file. The lyx file does pdf if I remove the theorems and lemmas. As far as I know this file is included in the amslatex package, which I have updated and installed on MikTeX.

Why doesn't it work, then?
Yoran91

Postby scottkosty on Sun Feb 24th, 2013

Yoran91 wrote:Ok, I've read the text in your link and I've managed to install the amsmath package. Now, I can pdf empty files or files containing just letters and formulas. Thank you!

However, the file I wish to be able to pdf also contain theorems and lemmas from the ams theorem package, and LyX now can't find the amsthm.sty file. The lyx file does pdf if I remove the theorems and lemmas. As far as I know this file is included in the amslatex package, which I have updated and installed on MikTeX.

Why doesn't it work, then?

Did you do reconfigure? (LyX > reconfigure I think if Mac), otherwise Tools > Reconfigure.
scottkosty

Postby Stefan Kottwitz on Sun Feb 24th, 2013

You need to install also the amscls package, amsthm belongs to it.

Stefan
LaTeX Community Administrator
Stefan Kottwitz
Site Admin

Postby Yoran91 on Sun Feb 24th, 2013

Awesome, it's working! Thanks!
Yoran91

Postby CSMR on Tue Oct 22nd, 2013

I am getting this error on LyX.

How do I install amscls ?

On the ams math webpage there are extensive instructions but refers to a seemingly non-existent location "TEXMF".

Searching on google results in advice to run the MikTex package manager, but how do I locate that? The miktex folder on disk has a ridiculous number of files and folders in it and no obvious package manager.

Maybe downloading the complete MikTex package and reinstalling will work?

LaTeX may be a great typesetter but it's terrible software!
CSMR

Postby localghost on Tue Oct 22nd, 2013

CSMR wrote:[…] How do I install amscls ? […] Maybe downloading the complete MikTex package and reinstalling will work?[…]

It's probably smarter to use the MiKTeX Package Manager (MPM) and do an update if necessary. A regular maintenance is recommended.

CSMR wrote:[…] LaTeX may be a great typesetter but it's terrible software!

Just because you don't know how to maintain the TeX system? Reading the MiKTeX manual certainly helps. m(

And next time please open a new topic before appending a follow-up question to a solved problem. This indicates that you seemingly did not read the proposed solution. It would have been no big deal to add a reference to this topic here.
LaTeX Community Moderator
How to make a "Minimal Example"
Board Rules
Avoidable Mistakes

¹ System: openSUSE 13.1 (Linux 3.11.10), TeX Live 2013 (vanilla), TeXworks 0.5 (r1351)
² Posting stopped indefinitely due to offenses
localghost
Site Moderator

Postby CSMR on Wed Oct 23rd, 2013

Sorry, the problems put me in a bad mood. This time it turned out to be my fault, as I didn't realize the program links that used to be in the Start Menu in Win7 are still accessible in the Win8 start screen. So Miktex Package Manager appears there.
CSMR

Next

Topic Tags

amsmathamsthmLyXMiKTeX

Return to LyX

LaTeX users online