Featured Book

LaTeX Beginners Guide

Who is online

In total there are 3 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 1327 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:11 pm

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests

Partner Sites

TeXwelt - Fragen und Antworten goLaTeX
TeXblog
TeXnicCenter
TeXample

Place table caption in the upper left corner

Add tags Information and discussion about LyX, a WYSIWYM editor, available for Linux, Windows and Mac OS X systems.

Place table caption in the upper left corner

Postby TB2 on Mon Dec 10th, 2007

Hi,

I'm new to latex and I'm using lyx right now. Apparently it's not possible to create captions for longtables the "normal way" because it's not a "float" or something like that, so I have to use this dirty workaround and make a new line in each table and place an ERT line in there. Now I actually get a caption, but it's centered.

See this Screenshot

How can I get the caption to the left?

Same goes for picture captions, I need them in the lower left corner...

Thanks a lot!
TB2

Re: Place table caption in the upper left corner

Postby sommerfee on Fri Dec 14th, 2007

This depends on the document class you use. Many document classes have build-in possibilities to change the look & feel of the captions.

You could also give
Code: Select all  •  Open in writeLaTeX
\usepackage[singlelinecheck=off]{caption}
a try.

HTH,
Axel
sommerfee

Postby TB2 on Fri Dec 14th, 2007

o.ô

it actually worked quite well! It's not perfect as the caption now sticks to the left side of the page instead of the table, which means that if the table isn't as wide as the text area the caption will be too much to the left (as the table is centered and has some space on both sides).

But it's pretty much ok now!

Thanks!

I use the article document style btw.
TB2

Postby sommerfee on Fri Dec 14th, 2007

TB2 wrote:It's not perfect as the caption now sticks to the left side of the page instead of the table, which means that if the table isn't as wide as the text area the caption will be too much to the left (as the table is centered and has some space on both sides).

You could combine this option with the floatrow package, which offers commands to typeset the caption as wide as the table itself.

Axel
sommerfee

Postby TB2 on Sat Dec 15th, 2007

Huh... Latex sure goes deep. I took a quick look at the manual for floatrow (72 pages) and it seems like it will do the job as you say, I'll try to figure out how to use it tomorrow... Wink

Thanks for that tip!
TB2

Return to LyX