Featured Book

LaTeX Beginners Guide

Who is online

In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 1327 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:11 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Partner Sites

TeXwelt - Fragen und Antworten goLaTeX
TeXblog
TeXnicCenter
TeXample

Font Sizes

Add tags Information and discussion about LaTeX's general text formatting features (e.g. bold, italic, enumerations, ...)

Font Sizes

Postby beethovengg on Wed Jul 6th, 2011

hello latex experts!

for the default size 10pt, we have the ff:

% \tiny 5pt
% \scriptsize 7pt
% \footnotesize 8pt
% \small 9pt
% \normalsize 10pt DEFAULT
% \large 12pt
% \Large 14.4pt
% \LARGE 17.28pt
% \huge 20.74pt
% \Huge 24.88pt

(Am I right with the above numbers?)

may I know the corresponding sizes for 11pt and 12pt. I read from a book "A Guide to LaTex" by Kopka and Daly that they will "all scale accordingly". Is this a "proportional" scaling? if yes, then my question is already answered. if not, then it is a "nonlinear" scaling, and therefore there must be other sizes (I read somewhere that they will look "larger" than what you expect!).

thank you

beethovengg
beethovengg

Re: Font Sizes

Postby localghost on Wed Jul 6th, 2011

The Font Sizes are scaled non-linear.

Best regards and welcome to the board
Thorsten
LaTeX Community Moderator
How to make a "Minimal Example"
Board Rules
Avoidable Mistakes

¹ System: openSUSE 13.1 (Linux 3.11.10), TeX Live 2013 (vanilla), TeXworks 0.5 (r1351)
² Posting stopped indefinitely due to offenses
localghost
Site Moderator

Re: Font Sizes

Postby Stefan_K on Wed Jul 6th, 2011

Hi,

document classes can handle it differently. Standard classes load an option file, depending on the font size. Let's look at the article class for example: if the document has the 10pt option, the article class loads the file size10.clo. There are those macros \tiny, \small etc. defined. They set font size, leading, and some further set spacing for displayed math formulas and lists. You can imagine, that spacing around a formula in footnote size should be less than with normal size.

The numbers for the font sizes above are correct, for the article class. For other classes I just did not check.

Let's continue with article and 10pt. size10.clo defines

Code: Select all  •  Open in writeLaTeX
\newcommand\Huge{\@setfontsize\Huge\@xxvpt{30}}

The macro \@xxvpt, which looks like roman representation of arabic 25pt, is defined in latex.ltx:

Code: Select all  •  Open in writeLaTeX
\def\@xxvpt{24.88}

Similar for the other values.

If you specify 11pt, article loads size11.clo with different font sizes, whereas a book class would load bk11.clo. All those files are in your TeX directory, you could read the source if you desire.

Btw. KOMA-Script classes allow arbitrary font sizes given in any TeX unit such as pt, ex, mm etc.

Stefan
LaTeX Community Administrator
Stefan_K
Site Admin

Return to Text Formatting