Featured Book

LaTeX Beginners Guide

Who is online

In total there are 10 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 10 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 1327 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:11 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

Partner Sites

TeXwelt - Fragen und Antworten goLaTeX
TeXblog
TeXnicCenter
TeXample

Horizontal strikethrough?

Add tags Information and discussion about LaTeX's general text formatting features (e.g. bold, italic, enumerations, ...)

Horizontal strikethrough?

Postby adam1234 on Wed Aug 5th, 2009

Hello all, and thanks in advance for your help.

I am curious if there is a way to make a horizontal strikethrough in mathmode. An example of why I would want this is to be able to define spatial volumes as something like:

\strikethrough{V}

in order to differentiate them with other quantities that are apt to be defined as V.

The command \sout{arg} from the ulem package SHOULD work, but instead it underlines "arg" for some reason. I have no idea why this would be the default behavior, since ulem.sty also contains \uline{arg}, which is explicitly intended to underline text.

In the actual text of the ulem.sty, it recommends resetting \ULdepth from a default value:

\newdimen\ULdepth \ULdepth=negVal

where negVal is some negative measurement (e.g., -6pt), but this has absolutely no effect on where the line is placed.

I'm not terribly attached to ulem.sty - any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Adam
adam1234

Re: Horizontal strikethrough?

Postby frabjous on Wed Aug 5th, 2009

With amsmath and ulem loaded, $\text{\sout{\ensuremath{V}}}$ works, but perhaps someone will have a more elegant solution.
frabjous

Re: Horizontal strikethrough?

Postby doches on Sat Jan 1st, 2011

The following works for me:

Code: Select all  •  Open in writeLaTeX
\usepackage{soul}
\st{text to strike through
}
doches

Return to Text Formatting