Featured Book

LaTeX Beginners Guide

Who is online

In total there are 12 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 11 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 1327 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:11 pm

Users browsing this forum: alainremillard and 11 guests

Partner Sites

TeXwelt - Fragen und Antworten goLaTeX
TeXblog
TeXnicCenter
TeXample

Maxwell-Boltzmann Distribution Graph

graphsphysicsplottingTikZAdd tags Information and discussion about graphics, figures & tables in LaTeX documents.

Maxwell-Boltzmann Distribution Graph

Postby ghostanime2001 on Tue Oct 11th, 2011

How can one plot a Maxwell Distribution function in LaTeX? I want to make a similar graph like in this attached image file so that I can work on adding some more information on it with my document. Thanks.
Attachments
function.PNG
function.PNG (28.18 KiB) Viewed 2761 times
ghostanime2001

Re: Maxwell-Boltzmann Distribution Graph

Postby localghost on Tue Oct 11th, 2011

I suggest to use either pgf/tikZ or pst-plot (based on pstricks). You know the mathematical function for this distribution so that it should be no big deal to plot it and add annotations.

Thorsten
LaTeX Community Moderator
How to make a "Minimal Example"
Board Rules
Avoidable Mistakes

¹ System: openSUSE 13.1 (Linux 3.11.10), TeX Live 2013 (vanilla), TeXworks 0.5 (r1351)
² Posting stopped indefinitely due to offenses
localghost
Site Moderator

Postby torbjorn t. on Tue Oct 11th, 2011

pgfplots is also worth a mention.
torbjorn t.

I don't know the mathematical function for this distribution unfortunately. But can those packages plot ANY function? and will they plot every value or discrete values for equations with one variable?
ghostanime2001

Postby localghost on Tue Oct 11th, 2011

ghostanime2001 wrote:I don't know the mathematical function for this distribution unfortunately. […]

Maxwell–Boltzmann distribution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
ghostanime2001 wrote:[…] But can those packages plot ANY function? and will they plot every value or discrete values for equations with one variable?

Explain "any" in this context. With the packages I suggested in my earlier reply you can plot smooth functions with at least one variable. With the pgfplots package that Torbjorn suggested you can also plot three-dimensional functions. The same applies to pst-3dplot. For more information about the capabilities of those packages please consult their manuals. Feel free to ask further questions along with a presentation of a serious approach you did on your own.
Board Rules
Avoidable Mistakes

¹ System: openSUSE 13.1 (Linux 3.11.10), TeX Live 2013 (vanilla), TeXworks 0.5 (r1351)
localghost
Site Moderator

By 'any' I mean complicated math expressions as well as simple functions and parametric curves too.

Some of the environments in ps-3dplot don't work when I insert the codes into TeXworks. But it works in TeXnicCenter. I would like to make it work in TeXworks thx
ghostanime2001

Postby localghost on Tue Oct 18th, 2011

ghostanime2001 wrote:By 'any' I mean complicated math expressions as well as simple functions and parametric curves too. […]

All applicable packages have been mentioned. Refer to their manuals to learn more about their capabilities.
ghostanime2001 wrote:[…] Some of the environments in ps-3dplot don't work when I insert the codes into TeXworks. But it works in TeXnicCenter. I would like to make it work in TeXworks thx

Due to its built-in PDF viewer TeXworks only supports compiler engines that directly produce PDF output. But PSTricks does not work with e. g. PDFLaTeX directly [1]. So either include the auto-pst-pdf package or set the »pdf« option for the pstricks package. See the manual for details. You could also run XeLaTeX directly on PSTricks code.

[1] /PSTricks/pdf/pdfoutput
Board Rules
Avoidable Mistakes

localghost
Site Moderator

Postby ghostanime2001 on Tue Oct 18th, 2011

So using XeTeX I can run pstricks and Tikz visually like Texworks? Btw.. how can I install XeTeX?
ghostanime2001

Postby localghost on Tue Oct 18th, 2011

Xe(La)TeX is part of your TeX distribution.
Board Rules
Avoidable Mistakes

localghost
Site Moderator

Postby ghostanime2001 on Mon Jan 21st, 2013

The maxwell distribution function for kinetic energy vs. number of molecules is this right ? http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hb ... pe.html#c1 Under the category of "Velocity Distribution in One Dimension" ???
ghostanime2001

Next

Topic Tags

graphsphysicsplottingTikZ

Return to Graphics, Figures & Tables