Featured Book

LaTeX Beginners Guide

Who is online

In total there are 5 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 5 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 1327 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:11 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Partner Sites

TeXwelt - Fragen und Antworten goLaTeX
TeXblog
TeXnicCenter
TeXample

Copy Cyrillic letters from MS Word to Latex

Add tags Information and discussion about fonts and character sets (e.g. how to use language specific characters)

Copy Cyrillic letters from MS Word to Latex

Postby rockdazzie on Mon Nov 15th, 2010

Dear Latex-helpers,
I am writing a thesis in english with Latex using MikTex and TeXnicCenter.
I want to include an abstract in russian with cyrillic letters. A friend translated my english abstract using MS Word. The problem now is how to copy the cyrillic letters from the Word-Document into my Latex file and how to print it out.
I copied and pasted the cyrillic letters to TeXnicCenter. This worked without problem. Than I typed into my header:
\usepackage[T2A]{fontenc}
\usepackage[koi8-r]{inputenc}
\usepackage[russian]{babel}

However, this did not work. The cyrillic text part in the pdf consists only of ?????????????????????

Please help me!

Thanks!
Kim
rockdazzie

Re: Copy Cyrillic letters from MS Word to Latex

Postby localghost on Mon Nov 15th, 2010

TeXnicCenter (TXC) 1 RC1 stable doesn't not support Unicode. Either try TXC2 alpha 3 (Build 1118) or another editor introduced in the »Editors« section of the forum.

Best regards and welcome to the board
Thorsten
LaTeX Community Moderator
How to make a "Minimal Example"
Board Rules
Avoidable Mistakes

¹ System: openSUSE 13.1 (Linux 3.11.10), TeX Live 2013 (vanilla), TeXworks 0.5 (r1351)
² Posting stopped indefinitely due to offenses
localghost
Site Moderator

Re: Copy Cyrillic letters from MS Word to Latex

Postby woj-k on Mon Nov 22nd, 2010

rockdazzie,

this isn't exactly what you were looking for, but if it's a short text (like, say, an abstract), I find it useful to switch to the OT2 or T2A encoding. In the former, you can write Russian using Latin transliteration, which is manageable in a short text. For reasons unknown to me, this produces low-quality output in a .pdf (if you magnify the letters, they're quite grainy and jagged). A less convenient (but typographically much more pleasing) solution is to use T2A, in which each character is a control sequence like \cyra, \cyrv, \CYRZH, \cyrsftsn... This will produce smooth fonts in a .pdf. Here is code with both variants for comparison:

Code: Select all  •  Open in writeLaTeX
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[T2A,OT2,T1]{fontenc
}%the last invoked encoding will be the default

\newcommand{\russianottwo}[1]{{\fontencoding{OT2}\selectfont #1}}

\newcommand{\russianttwoa}[1]{{\fontencoding{T2A}\selectfont #1}}

\begin{document}
English text.

Russian OT2: \russianottwo{Ivan. Zhenshchina.}

Russian T2A: \russianttwoa{\CYRI\cyrv\cyra\cyrn. \CYRZH\cyre\cyrn\cyrshch\cyri\cyrn\cyra.}

English text.
\end{document
}

In this link, under the "OT2 (latin) transliteration" heading, you will find links to files that will give you all the control sequences you need:

http://www.capca.ucalgary.ca/~wdobler/doc/tex/index.html

The other methods described there are also noteworthy,

Neither T2A or OT2 is as convenient as copy-pasting Cyrillic from a text editor, but it has the advantage of letting you stay within the ASCII character set, thus bypassing your problem with software that can't handle international chars.

Hope that helps!
Wojtek
woj-k

Return to Fonts & Character Sets