LaTeX Books

Cookbook

LaTeX Beginners Guide

Limited discount 50%
coupon code tDRet6Y

click here to read the whole story

LaTeX users online

In total there are 13 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 13 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 1327 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:11 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests

Capitalize first letter of every word

LaTeX Forum: General

Add tags LaTeX specific issues not fitting into one of the other forums of this category.

Postby darckhart on Tue Mar 4th, 2008

Hi all. I'm looking for a way to capitalize the first letter of every word in a given block of text. Something to the effect of:
\begin{capitalize}
i want to capitalize every word of this sentence.\\
and this one too.\\
\end{capitalize}

which would of course display like:
I Want To Capitalize Every Word ....etc

Also it would have to work on text inside a table/tabular environment. I assume I'd have to write some custom macro, but I'm not savvy enough with latex yet to do this. Can anyone give me some pointers? Thanks.
darckhart

Postby gmedina on Tue Mar 4th, 2008

Any resemblance to this thread?
gmedina

Postby darckhart on Tue Mar 4th, 2008

Hm, yes very close to the first post. The reason is I'm keeping a separate table of expressions/titles and it would look more presentable if each item had every word capitalized. However, in the main text I may refer to the expression without capitalizing every word if, for example, it was in the middle of a sentence. I was thinking I might pass the whole expression as an argument to the macro which would check for a space and then apply \uppercase to the first letter immediately following. But then I also don't know how to break up the word into its component letters and only \uppercase the first letter of the word. So I'm stuck.
darckhart

Return to General

LaTeX users online