Featured Book

LaTeX Beginners Guide

Who is online

In total there are 12 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 10 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 1327 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:11 pm

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 10 guests

Partner Sites

TeXwelt - Fragen und Antworten goLaTeX
TeXblog
TeXnicCenter
TeXample

I need numeric superscripts in author list

Add tags LaTeX specific issues not fitting into one of the other forums of this category.

I need numeric superscripts in author list

Postby hardcoreUFO on Thu May 22nd, 2008

For some reason LaTeX, thinking wrongly that it knows best, believes symbols rather than numbers should be used to superscript authors in an article when specifying an address subscript. Is there any way of making \footnote behave like it does everywhere else in a LaTeX document? These sorts of inconsistencies are infuriating.

Thanks in advance.
hardcoreUFO

Re: I need numeric superscripts in author list

Postby localghost on Thu May 22nd, 2008

hardcoreUFO wrote:For some reason LaTeX, thinking wrongly that it knows best, believes symbols rather than numbers should be used to superscript authors in an article when specifying an address subscript. [...] These sorts of inconsistencies are infuriating. [...]

Just a remark for the present. This is no inconsistency. There is a deeper sense behind that. After all these superscripts don't mark footnotes, but additional information regarding the authors. You can see that in the way these marks are created, not with \footnote but with the \thanks command. So LaTeX does this in the correct way.

Seems to be only a change in the format of a counter. But at the moment I have no idea what counter that could be (perhaps the counter footnote). A workaround may be the usage of the titlepage option in the article class.

Best regards
Thorsten
LaTeX Community Moderator
How to make a "Minimal Example"
Board Rules
Avoidable Mistakes

¹ System: openSUSE 13.1 (Linux 3.11.10), TeX Live 2013 (vanilla), TeXworks 0.5 (r1351)
² Posting stopped indefinitely due to offenses
localghost
Site Moderator

Postby Stefan_K on Thu May 22nd, 2008

Hi,

I agree with Thorsten.

LaTeX does not force you to do it in the custom way. It is Open Source, so you may change it. After looking at article.cls and latex.ltx I found a workaround that may help you to get numeric superscripts by redefining the internal macro \@fnsymbol. I provide a small working example:
Code: Select all  •  Open in writeLaTeX
\documentclass[a4paper,10pt]{article}
\makeatletter
\renewcommand*\@fnsymbol[1]{\the#1}
\makeatother
\title{Test}
\author{Tester\footnote{author footnote}}
\begin{document}
\maketitle
\setcounter{footnote}{1}
\section{One}
Text\footnote{text footnote}
\end{document
}

Stefan
LaTeX Community Administrator
Stefan_K
Site Admin

Postby hardcoreUFO on Fri May 23rd, 2008

Thanks for the feedback guys. I still submit that the implementation of footnotes is inconsistent. A user expects footnotes to behave the same anywhere in the document; unless you can provide a good reason not to be able to use:

\footnote[1]{My footnote}

in the author list. It works everywhere else, therefore it is inconsistent (and causes users like me to pull their hair out).

Anyhow, I will try Stefan's suggestion. Thanks again.
hardcoreUFO

Postby hardcoreUFO on Fri May 23rd, 2008

For the reference of others, Stefan's suggestion worked well.
hardcoreUFO

Return to General