Featured Book

LaTeX Beginners Guide

Who is online

In total there are 19 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 16 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 1327 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:11 pm

Users browsing this forum: alainremillard, Majestic-12 [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 16 guests

Partner Sites

TeXwelt - Fragen und Antworten goLaTeX
TeXblog
TeXnicCenter
TeXample

How to use Georgia OpenType Font with Miktex/Latex 2.7?

Add tags LaTeX specific issues not fitting into one of the other forums of this category.

How to use Georgia OpenType Font with Miktex/Latex 2.7?

Postby johnation33 on Fri Jun 13th, 2008

Hello everyone,

I'm really new to Latex, discovered it after reading an article on the evils of WYSIWIG :) I'm working on a CV right now and I want to use the Georgia OpenType font I have installed on my windows vista 32bit computer. I just don't know how to use it though. For the details: I'm using TexnicCenter as an editor, installed miktex 2.7 basic installation, updated all packages, and now just trying to figure out how to use the Georgia opentype font. Does it come with miktex already? If not, how do I import it? I of course tried some intense google searching and found some posts refer to XeTex which seems to be another version of Latex?

Also, if I get the Georgia opentype font working, would I loose the latex typesetting benefits by not selecting the default font?

Thanks for your help!
John
johnation33

Re: How to use Georgia OpenType Font with Miktex/Latex 2.7?

Postby johnation33 on Sat Jun 28th, 2008

Nobody knows how to install new opentype fonts in Latex? Does everyone just use the standard 4 fonts that come with it then? In that way I think msword is better :(
johnation33

Re: How to use Georgia OpenType Font with Miktex/Latex 2.7?

Postby localghost on Sat Jun 28th, 2008

johnation33 wrote:[...] Does everyone just use the standard 4 fonts that come with it then? [...]

LaTeX offers much more than the standard CM (computer modern) fonts. Take a look at the CTAN Catalogue [1]. Perhaps the winfonts bundle could also be helpful. Using a search engine with "Georgia+font+LaTeX" yields many usable results. One of them is a tutorial how to use True Type fonts in LaTeX [2]. You can find the Georgia font as a True Type version in the path "C:\WINDOWS\Fonts".
johnation33 wrote:[...] In that way I think msword is better [...]

If you think so, try your luck with it. Have fun with generating mathematical expressions and their numberings. Fonts are only a minor matter. Lay the focus on the contents.

[1] The TeX Catalogue Online, Topic Index - Fonts
[2] True Type Fonts with LaTeX

Best regards and welcome to the board
Thorsten¹
LaTeX Community Moderator
How to make a "Minimal Example"
Board Rules
Avoidable Mistakes

¹ System: openSUSE 13.1 (Linux 3.11.10), TeX Live 2013 (vanilla), TeXworks 0.5 (r1351)
² Posting stopped indefinitely due to offenses
localghost
Site Moderator

Return to General