Featured Book

LaTeX Beginners Guide

Who is online

In total there are 11 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 10 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 1327 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:11 pm

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 10 guests

Partner Sites

TeXwelt - Fragen und Antworten goLaTeX
TeXblog
TeXnicCenter
TeXample

Associate Author with his Affiliation

Add tags LaTeX specific issues not fitting into one of the other forums of this category.

Associate Author with his Affiliation

Postby bsmile on Wed Apr 18th, 2012

I am wondering how to generate a small paranthesis (1), (2) etc nearby an author name which directs to a specific affiliation. Thanks
bsmile

Re: Associate Author with his Affiliation

Postby Frits on Wed Apr 18th, 2012

If you're using the \maketitle command (when specified \title, \author and \date), you can add the \thanks to the \author command to add an affiliation.
howtoTeX.com - Your LaTeX resource site (Tips, Tricks, Templates and more!)
Follow howtoTeX on twitter
Frits

Re: Associate Author with his Affiliation

Postby sandy10m on Fri Aug 10th, 2012

In our collaboration of 270, we use the following for Elsarticle submissions:

Code: Select all  •  Open in writeLaTeX
\author[Gent]{Y.~Name1} \fnref{LosAlamos}}
\author[Zeuthen]{M.~Name2}
etc.

\address[Gent]{Dept.~of Physics and Astronomy, University of Gent, B-9000 Gent, Belgium}
\address[Zeuthen]{DESY, D-15735 Zeuthen, Germany}
etc.

\fntext[LosAlamos]{Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, NM 87545, USA
}

This gives a list of each author with the proper affiliation, plus the footnote at the bottom of the page of Los Alamos for the first author.

Since we have such a big collaboration, the superscripts of the author affiliations is super-messy if you leave LaTeX to default on letters (it gets to Z and then starts with AA, then AB, etc.). If you want numbers instead of letters, then the proper command to put before the author list is:

Code: Select all  •  Open in writeLaTeX
\def\theaffn{\arabic{affn}}

This changes alpha to numeric, or letters to numbers, for the author affiliation. I spent hours online trying to find this solution but had to go to the LaTeX experts to get the answer. I wanted to share this in a public forum in the hopes that it would help someone else avoid the pain.

Of course you need to switch the author footnotes to letters or symbols, too. Which I haven't figured out how to do yet. Can anyone help with this?

Cheers,
Sandy
Last edited by Stefan_K on Sat Aug 11th, 2012, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: code marked
sandy10m

Return to General