Featured Book

LaTeX Beginners Guide

Who is online

In total there are 25 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 23 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 1327 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:11 pm

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 23 guests

Partner Sites

TeXwelt - Fragen und Antworten goLaTeX
TeXblog
TeXnicCenter
TeXample

problem to use URW Classico font (Optima clone) on Windows

Add tags LaTeX specific issues not fitting into one of the other forums of this category.

problem to use URW Classico font (Optima clone) on Windows

Postby esther on Fri Oct 24th, 2008

The problem:

I´m working with Latex on Windows XP (with Miktex), and I have the following problem: I must use the URW Classico font (clone of Optima). I cautiously followed the installation instructions given in the readme.classico file of Bob Tennent (see http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/u ... E.classico), but without success.

My editor complains in the following way:

"Trying to make PK font "uopr8r" (at 657 DPI)...
"makemf" --verbose "uopr8r"
"ttf2pk" -q -t "uopr8r"
makepk: "uopr8r.pk" could not be created
Warning. pdflatex (file uopr8r): Font uopr8r at 657 not found"

Has anyone an idea?

Best

Esther
esther

Re: problem to use URW Classico font (Optima clone) on Windows

Postby balf on Sat Oct 25th, 2008

Did you check whether your fonts are mentioned in psfonts.map (the one in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\MiKTeX\2.7\dvips\config\)? Do you have a local updmap.cfg in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\MiKTeX\2.7\miktex\config\?

B.A.
balf

Postby esther on Sat Oct 25th, 2008

Hello Balf,

thanks a lot for your answer.

balf wrote:Do you have a local updmap.cfg in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\MiKTeX\2.7\miktex\config\?

yes, I created it as given in the instructions. Actually, I´m a bit puzzled because I have a miktex config file at two different places:

C:\texmf\miktex\config
C:\localtexmf\miktex\config

(I don´t know why and I don´t know either if it´s a bad thing)
So I have a updmap.cfg file in each of these config files.

balf wrote:Did you check whether your fonts are mentioned in psfonts.map (the one in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\MiKTeX\2.7\dvips\config\)?B.A.

I found a psfonts.map file in the following places:

C:\localtexmf\dvipdfm\config
C:\localtexmf\dvips\config
C:\localtexmf\pdftex\config

(and no copy under C:\texmf)

I opened them and found no mention of uop fonts.

I guess it´s a problem? Do you have an idea of what I could do?

Best

Esther
esther

Postby balf on Sun Oct 26th, 2008

It certainly IS a problem since neither dvips nor pdflatex can't find the type 1 fonts if they aren't mentioned in that file and its friends. That's why miktex desperately tries to make bitmap fonts (the .pk's). What puzzles me is that you don't mentionC:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\MiKTeX\2.7\...
Which version of MiKTeX do you have? It's important because the procedure has changed since version 2.6 as far as I can remember. Also: after installing the fonts in the relevant localtexmf directories, did you launch from the command line:
initexmf --mkmaps? It's the way to make a brand new psfonts.map and friends.

Regards,
B.A.
balf

Postby esther on Sun Oct 26th, 2008

balf wrote:It certainly IS a problem since neither dvips nor pdflatex can't find the type 1 fonts if they aren't mentioned in that file and its friends. That's why miktex desperately tries to make bitmap fonts (the .pk's). What puzzles me is that you don't mentionC:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\MiKTeX\2.7\...
Which version of MiKTeX do you have? It's important because the procedure has changed since version 2.6 as far as I can remember. Also: after installing the fonts in the relevant localtexmf directories, did you launch from the command line:
initexmf --mkmaps? It's the way to make a brand new psfonts.map and friends.

Regards,
B.A.

Hallo Balf,

Thank you SO much!!! This was indeed the problem. After launching the command line you indicated (if I´m right, it´s not on the instruction file of the relevant package), everything is running fine now.
Thanks a bunch again!

Best

Esther
esther

Return to General