Featured Book

LaTeX Beginners Guide

Who is online

In total there are 21 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 20 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 1327 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:11 pm

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 20 guests

Partner Sites

TeXwelt - Fragen und Antworten goLaTeX
TeXblog
TeXnicCenter
TeXample

Changing default font size

Add tags LaTeX specific issues not fitting into one of the other forums of this category.

Changing default font size

Postby midan on Sat Dec 20th, 2008

Hello,
I would like to change the default font size of a latex file to, e.g., 12pt, in the preamable, and not within the class options. Specifically, I am using Ipe to generate drawings to be later included in my LaTeX document. Ipe generates text using a temporary latex file that starts with \documentclass{article}. I have no control over the options, hence cannot state \documentclass[12pt]{article}, which I would normally do. I can add preamable commands, but that's it.
So the question is: what would be an alternative to the [12pt] option of the article class. Maybe a package with a default options to specify the font size? I tried
\fontsize{12}{15}\selectfont
but it doesn't work. It seems like this is working only when used after \begin{document}.
Thanks,
Moshe
midan

Re: Changing default font size

Postby phi on Sat Dec 20th, 2008

In the standard document classes, the font size selection works as follows: The last digit of the default font size (0, 1 or 2) is saved in the command \@ptsize, then the file size1\@ptsize.clo is read, which changes some parameters. So you should be able to simulate the behavior by adding the following to the preamble:
Code: Select all  •  Open in writeLaTeX
\makeatletter
\renewcommand*\@ptsize{2}
\let\small\relax
\let\footnotesize\relax
\let\scriptsize\relax
\let\tiny\relax
\let\large\relax
\let\Large\relax
\let\LARGE\relax
\let\huge\relax
\input{size1\@ptsize.clo
}
\makeatother
phi

Re: Changing default font size

Postby midan on Sun Dec 21st, 2008

Thanks, phi, this is exactly what I needed.
Cheers!
midan

Return to General