LaTeX users online

In total there are 7 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 7 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 1327 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:11 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

BibTeX Run creates flawed Bibliography Topic is solved

LaTeX Forum: BibTeX, biblatex and biber

Add tags Information and discussion about BiBTeX - the bibliography tool for LaTeX documents.

Postby Homeberw on Fri Feb 1st, 2013

Hi all,

I have a document with an associated *.bib file that I have typeset successfully with MiKTeX using the WinEdt front end. On another computer, I decided to try out TeXworks. Using WinEdt, I do "bibtex -> latex -> latex" and all the references come out with no problem. Using TeXworks, when i run BibTeX (no errors) and then PDFLaTeX, I get this error:
Code: Select all  •  Open in online LaTeX editor
! LaTeX Error: Something's wrong--perhaps a missing \item.
See the LaTeX manual or LaTeX Companion for explanation.
Type  H <return>  for immediate help.
 ...                                                                        l.24 \end{thebibliography}

So, in trying to figure out the problem, I notice that while BibTeX doesn't give an error with TeXworks, there are no \bibitem entries in the .bbl file. When I copy the .bbl from the WinEdt machine (which does have all the \bibitem entries), then two runs of PDFLaTeX works fine. I am sure I'm doing something stupid, but can anyone give a suggestion?

Thanks!
Homeberw

Postby Homeberw on Fri Feb 1st, 2013

Problem solved. Updated to use the latest IEEEtran syle and bst files. Everything working now. Hope I didn't waste anyone's time.
Homeberw

Return to BibTeX, biblatex and biber

LaTeX users online