Featured Book

LaTeX Beginners Guide

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 1327 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:11 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Partner Sites

TeXwelt - Fragen und Antworten goLaTeX
TeXblog
TeXnicCenter
TeXample

Xindy for MiKTeX

Add tags Information and discussion about MakeIndex - the tool to generate subject indices for LaTeX documents.

Xindy for MiKTeX

Postby lartkma on Fri Jul 17th, 2009

Hi!

I've been working on the installation of Xindy, a flexible, multi-language index processor for LaTeX (and others); for the Windows OS, and specifically for the MiKTeX distribution, which was the only one who did not have the tool (TeXLive has it).

After several attempts, I managed to run Xindy 2.2 in MiKTeX, and the Xindy files are in the MiKTeX main folder, following the MiKTeX folder system.

I uploaded the necessary files to the web, so that anyone with MiKTeX can use it.

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Download Xindy for MiKTeX from this link.
  2. Unzip the files in your MiKTeX main folder (for example "C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.8"). The folders in the archive are sorted in a TDS tree, so you can copy and paste the folders in the MiKTeX folder. A "confirm folder replace" should appear. Accept.
  3. Now, in the MiKTeX main folder you can find a file called "texmftemp.cnf" and a script called "ConfigTexmf.vbs". Run the script. It creates the updated file "texmf.cnf", that is the file that Xindy needs. You can erase the script after.
  4. Finally, you need to install a Perl complier. For example, Strawberry Perl.
After this, Xindy should work. I made a simple test for Xindy, that you can download from this link. After unzip the files, run the batch file "run-test". You will obtain a DVI file "indice" that you can compare with "indiceModel"

The development process log can be found here.

If something does not work or there is an error, please reply in this post.

:mrgreen:
Last edited by lartkma on Tue Dec 29th, 2009, edited 2 times in total.
lartkma

Re: Xindy for MiKTeX

Postby gmedina on Fri Jul 17th, 2009

Hi lartkma,

although I don't usually use MiKTeX I will spread the word among some friends of mine that want to benefit from using Xindy with MiKTeX. I think that they will thank and appreciate your effort (of course, I do so).
gmedina

Postby bqnguyen on Sat Oct 24th, 2009

Hi lartkma:

Thanks for your effort. Where should I unzip the file prior to running the install script?

Regards.
bqnguyen

Postby bqnguyen on Mon Oct 26th, 2009

Hi:

Please disregard my previous question. It seems that I have been able to install the required files after editing the PATH variable.
In MiKTeK configuration, I enter xindy instead of the usual makeindex for the MakeIndex task. However, it gives me an error: Script interpreter is not found in PATH. What am I missing?
Thanks.
bqnguyen

Postby lartkma on Tue Nov 3rd, 2009

Hi bqnguyen.

Yes, I found and error when I follow my instructions in computers different than mine, but I never gave me the time for modify. Sorry for that.

The problem is about the Perl interpreter in folder 'tlperl'. I suggest, for now, don't use this (you can erase this folder, and delete the folder's reference in PATH). Try to install a Perl interpreter instead (for example, Strawberry Perl). At the beginning, I don't want to use a new program, but I've seen it's a better option.

I'll upload new files and instructions soon.

Thanks.
Luis Ramirez.
lartkma

Postby mehdioa on Mon Feb 8th, 2010

Thanks. It worked for me perfectly, even simpler than you. I run
Windows XP SP3, Complete Miktex 2.8 on C:\texmf
mehdioa

Postby AGhostDog on Mon Jan 30th, 2012

Hi lartkma!

After updating my MikTeX distrib, Xindy is no more installed on my XP (I probably did dirty tricks :oops: ).

As your tuto works fine, I would do it again, but the MegaUpload Link is obviously dead right now...

I tried to find another binary on google but I failed. So I dug up this post, to know if you can give us another link ;)

Thank you !
AGhostDog

Postby balf on Wed Jul 25th, 2012

Unfortunately, MegaUpload has been closed. Is it possible to have another link, or would anyone have downloaded the necessary files before MegaUpload was closed?
Any help is welcome to make xindy work with MiKTeX.

B.A.
balf

Postby andressarmientoc on Tue Nov 27th, 2012

Hi lartkma!

I have reviewed the whole process you have done, but please appreciate it if you can upload files to the server, or even better if you could generate a manual to install Xindy and use for MiKTeX

Maybe I'm asking too much but I really need your help.

Thanks for your answer and help

Andrés Sarmiento C.
andressarmientoc

Postby Stefan_K on Tue Nov 27th, 2012

Hi Andrés,

welcome to the board!

Speravir posted an explanation here: How to use Xindy with MiKTeX.

Stefan
LaTeX Community Administrator
Stefan_K
Site Admin

Next

Return to MakeIndex